Northwood United Church came into being in 1994 from the amalgamation of North Surrey United Church and Fleetwood United Church. Both parent congregations had served the communities of North Surrey since the mid fifties and have discovered a new vision and energy together. In 1996 Northwood purchased 3 acres on the corner of 88th Ave and 156th Street and on June 28th 1998 the current building was dedicated.
Since our inception, Northwood has welcomed relationships with other congregations and other communities of faith. When Oak Avenue United Church disbanded in 2007, some members joined Northwood and have enriched the community immensely. Then in 2013, Fraser Valley Japanese United Church with whom Northwood had shared a building for decades entered into talks with Northwood about amalgamation. Northwood has now amalgamated with FVUC and, along with an intentional ministry with Korean immigrants, is developing intercultural ministry and community.
We are part of the United Church of Canada which began in 1925 with the uniting of the Methodist, Presbyterian and Congregationalist Churches in Canada. For a timeline, open the attachment below.
"There is nothing more powerful than the right vision given to the right people at the right time!"
Rev. Dr. Tom Bandy